Sunday, February 6, 2011

New project coming down the pipeline...

I have plans to make four dolls at a tea party, details will be explained...
also a Hoffman Fabric Challenge doll... also details to be explained.

Each of these dolls needs to be of the highest quality and work(wo)manship,
manipulated to the highest degree. I'm going to be entering them as submissions for a national doll makers association. So...
I needed to practice my 'cloth over clay' technique, which is what it sounds like: cloth glued over a clay sculpted substrate to make the face
appear the best it can be while paying attention to tradition with an all-
cloth doll body.

I had a head I did not use for a yo yo doll series I'd made last year which I saved 'just in case'. So, I got out some trusty yellow percale to try this technique
and I think it's 'ok' for practice and even 'ok' enough to go ahead and use a pair of hands I used as practice and make a new yo yo doll. Here's the
head so far:

The yellow fabric has been painted over with gesso, which when I took these
photos, was not sanded yet. The margins will be cut and tucked to behind
her head. More to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW! This looks so good! I am amazed at the work that you do! Can't wait to see this project completed! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete